Chinese  
New York Time: Saturday, 5/23/2026    
Home    US    World    China    Arts    Science    Entertainment    Sports    Beyond science
Russian Soyuz Rocket Failure Caused by Damaged Sensor: Investigation
2018-11-01 22:00:08   (Visits: 848 Times)
1,The Soyuz 2.1b rocket carrying a military spacecraft takes off from the Plesetsk cosmodrome in Arkhangelsk region, Russia, on Oct. 25, 2018. (Russian Defence Ministry Press Service/Handout via Reuters)
2,Oleg Skorobogatov, head of the investigating commission, speaks at a news conference on the results of the investigation on the failed Soyuz rocket launch on October 11, in the Russian Mission Control Center in Korolev, outside Moscow, Russia, on Nov. 1, 2018. (Sergei Karpukhin/Reuters)
By Reuters.
November 1, 2018 Updated: November 1, 2018
Share
MOSCOW—The abortive launch last month of a manned Soyuz mission to space was caused by a sensor damaged during the rocket’s assembly at the cosmodrome in Kazakhstan, Russian investigators said on Nov. 1.
A Russian cosmonaut and U.S. astronaut were forced to scrap their mission on Oct. 11, after a rocket bound for the International Space Station (ISS) failed, sending them plunging back to Earth in an emergency landing.
Presenting findings of an official inquiry into the accident, chief investigator Igor Skorobogatov said two more Soyuz rockets might have the same defect and that new checks were now being introduced into the rocket assembly process.
The mishap occurred as the first and second stages of a Russian booster rocket separated around two minutes after liftoff from Kazakhstan’s Soviet-era cosmodrome of Baikonur.
“The reason for the abnormal separation … was due to a deformation of the stem of the contact separation sensor…,” Skorobogatov told reporters.
“It has been proven, fully confirmed that this happened specifically because of this sensor, and that could only have happened during the package’s assembly at the Baikonur cosmodrome,” he said.
Russian space agency Roscosmos aired footage filmed by an onboard camera, showing the Soyuz blasting off and climbing normally until three of its booster rockets detach, with one of them appearing to fall inwards, rather than away from it.
The Soyuz is then knocked sharply off its trajectory and can be seen shaking and swinging as the footage is partly obscured by a spewing white cloud.
Skorobogatov said the Soyuz’s central block was hit “in the fuel tank area, causing a depressurization and, as a result, a loss of the space rocket’s stabilization.”
The accident was the first serious launch problem experienced by a manned Soyuz space mission since 1983, when a crew narrowly escaped before a launchpad explosion.Roscosmos said on Wednesday it hoped to launch its first manned mission since the accident on Dec. 3.
The launch had been planned for mid-December, but senior Roscosmos official Sergei Krikalyov said they hoped to bring it forward so that the ISS is not switched to autopilot when the current three-man crew on board leave.



The Ever Elusive, Masterful Delacroix
Acting AG Whitaker has thoughts on Mueller's Russia probe
Seven-time Olympic champion Allyson Felix announces plans to retire after 2022 season
There have been 47,220 gun incidents in the U.S. in 2018 — and here they all are on o
Steve Bannon Gets Mercilessly Mocked With Tweaked Movie Titles
Toxic smoke from Canadian wildfires could impact health of millions in the US
Suspect Arrested in Serial Killings of Women Near Gilgo Beach
Broward County at center of Florida recount debate as judge orders release of ballot
US to Impose New Duties on Chinese Aluminum Sheet Products
Trump warnings grow from forgotten Republicans
WHO Assures That Coronavirus Is Natural Amid Trump Attack
Dangerous! US Photographer Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Accidentally rescued the child fro
The suspect in the shooting of 2 Minnesota lawmakers had a 'hit list' of 45 officials
Steve Bannon, three others charged with fraud in border wall fundraising campaign
Syria forced to ration fuel as stricken ship keeps Suez Canal blocked
Former U.N. Chief and Peruvian Diplomat Javier Pérez de Cuellar Dies at Age 100
Joint Statement of the Leaders of the Five Nuclear-Weapon States on Preventing Nuclea
Trump Fumes Over Puerto Rico Toll As Death Count Rises For Hurricane Florence
Trump Holds Private Funeral for His Brother at White House
Trump Celebrates Patriotism at Daytona 500, Takes Laps Around Track
Contact       About Us       Legal Disclaimer